Rare inspires change so people and nature thrive. For almost 50 years, across 60 countries, we have inspired and empowered millions of people and communities to shift their behaviors and practices to protect our shared planet. We are a global leader in driving social change for people and nature. We facilitate solutions that help individuals, communities, and local leaders tackle global environmental challenges, manage their resources, and take charge of their futures. And we believe that the cumulative power of individual and community action is a vital pathway to safeguarding and restoring our shared waters, lands, and climate.
About the Job
Our Finance department has an immediate opening for a Payroll Manager to oversee our global payroll operations and processes. You will ensure the accurate and timely processing of payroll for our global workforce and will be a key partner in the development and implementation of payroll solutions and strategies. In addition, you will support the accounting close process with timely documentation and streamlined processes and ensure compliance with multiple state, local and international laws. You will also work with the Talent department to ensure payroll information is accurate and will develop and produce payroll-related statistical reports.
- Manage and ensure the timely and accurate disbursement of multi-state payroll in the U.S.
- Coordinate with Talent and Global Operations staff to prepare payroll reports for each pay period. Meet monthly, or more often if needed, with Finance and Operations staff in each country office/entity to discuss monthly payroll changes.
- Manage the ongoing monthly payroll calendars, and send consistent reminders of payroll cut-off dates
- Partner with the Talent department in collecting payroll data: new hire information, terminations, promotions, pay increases, bonuses, changes in payroll deductions, timesheet information, 401(k) contributions, etc.
- Coordinate with Talent to file all supporting documentation in the Shared Drive: Letter of Intent, signed Employment Contract, salary information, etc.
- Enter employee information and payroll data into ADP WorkforceNow.
- Access payroll management systems for each country office/entity and use the system to run and review reports as needed.
- Review monthly payroll reports for global entities, confirming accuracy of payroll changes and all staff salaries and deductions, and send final draft to approver
- Process employee termination, final pay calculations, and other updates on a timely basis.
- Calculate the gross pay for employees on short-term and long-term disability leave per company and government policies.
- Manage payroll compliance with applicable federal and state regulations, including registering with appropriate state and local taxing agencies to deposit payroll taxes.
- Ensure statutory deductions are deposited, and taxes are filed accurately and timely with the appropriate tax agencies.
- Manage calendar of global statutory and annual reports, and save copies of all reports in shared drive
- Investigate and resolve tax notices received from federal, state, and local tax agencies.
- Coordinating with ADP WorkforceNow and state tax agencies, resolve outstanding tax issues promptly.
- Manages monthly reconciliation of salary allocations, comparing the fringe rate with the actual benefits and reviewing employees' timesheets and PTO records
- Reconcile semi-monthly employee wage and deductions, such as gross salary, other earnings, net pay, tax withholdings, benefits deductions including 401(k), etc.
- Perform periodic reconciliation of various payroll tax liabilities and tax expenses recorded in the general ledger, investigate variances, and make corrective actions.
- Answering employees' questions and concerns regarding payroll. Analyze payroll discrepancies and find solutions for variances. Provide updates to the supervisor on payroll issues.
- Develops, implements, and maintains policies and procedures for payroll processing.
- Maintain accurate payroll records and reconciliation reports.
- Yearly payroll reconciliation of wages and taxes, issue and distribute annual W-2 statements within the IRS deadline.
- Participate in the annual fringe rate estimating project for the upcoming fiscal year for budget preparation.
- Supports year-end financial auditing, providing payroll reports and documents and answering the auditor's queries.
- Leads Rare's annual 401k benefit audit: keep track of plan-related documents throughout the year, respond to the 401k auditor's questions, and file Form 5500 within the deadline.
- Five years payroll administration experience, or the equivalent combination of training, education, and experience.
- Experience managing payroll in the ADP Workforce Now system within the last couple of years.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word – specifically demonstrated knowledge of creating worksheets to perform reconciliations and other analyses.
- Experience working independently in small non-profit organizations.
- International work experience a plus
Rare is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic.