Rare inspires change so people and nature thrive. For over 45 years, across 60 countries, we have inspired and empowered millions of people and their communities to shift their behaviors and practices to protect our shared planet.
Fish Forever is Rare’s global initiative to restore near-shore fisheries in the developing tropics. Fish Forever’s goal is to improve fishery productivity, profitability and sustainability while also boosting livelihoods, protecting habitats and enhancing coastal resilience to climate change.
Rare is leading a monitoring & evaluation project that aims to measure shifts in beliefs associated with Fish Forever program activities using both quantitative and qualitative research methods. The Manager, Research Implementation will support the overall planning, management, and coordination of the implementation of the FF-Moore monitoring & evaluation project designed by the BE Center. The Manager will bring extensive experience managing data collection for community-based social and behavioral change programs and will be expected to provide technical assistance to lead the implementation of the project’s specific implementation strategies and data collection activities. This position will report to the Behavioral Science team in the United States, but will be based with the Fish Forever program in the Philippines and work closely with local Fish Forever program staff.
The Manager, Research Implementation will collaborate closely with relevant program members to coordinate and lead the direct implementation of the monitoring & evaluation research study. General responsibilities will include:
- Manage the deployment of field protocols (impact and process evaluation protocols) related to the implementation of the study
- Work closely with the BE Center and country-based data collection team, to ensure the rigor of the evaluation and guarantee that technical guidelines and field protocols are upheld and delivered with high fidelity (i.e., as designed and planned)
- Provide day-to-day management oversight of the work plan and budget to ensure the timely execution of the project
- Impart technical advice and coordination support to the country team, including all project-specific study staff, to ensure the appropriate and execution of the research study
- Provide clear and consistent communication and coordination between BE Center, the implementation team, and other relevant stakeholders such as local government authorities
- Report directly to the Researchers at BE Center on a regular (twice weekly as a minimum, more as needed), and participates in weekly team calls
- Participate in relevant implementation team meetings and events (i.e., train-the-trainers for staff and partners)
- Bachelor’s degree in fisheries, biology, marine biology, environmental science, social science, community development or relevant field, or the equivalent combination of training, education, and experience. A master’s degree is a plus;
- A minimum of 5 years’ progressive experience managing, implementing, and leading technical and program activities related to complex, multi-component donor-funded community-based programs/projects
- Demonstrated experience managing and supervising large data collection monitoring & evaluation teams
- Ability to review data collection and assure data quality
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence across multiple teams and levels
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting
- Ability to successfully coordinate with government officials, NGOs, research institutions, donor organizations, and other agencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; proficiency in Filipino and any of the local languages in the assigned sites is preferred;
- Must be adept in computer programs such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, with strong knowledge or experience in using mobile apps for productivity or business application and social media;
- Willingness and ability to travel to study sites up to 30% of time.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic.