Rare inspires change so people and nature thrive. For over 45 years, across 60 countries, we have inspired and empowered millions of people and communities to shift their behaviors and practices to protect our shared planet. Rare’s organizational culture is results-oriented, entrepreneurial, and defined by our five core values: Courage to Take Risks, Commitment to Accountability, Mindset of Solutionology, Investments in People, and Spirit of Celebration.
Rare is seeking an experienced fundraiser to join the foundation relations team in our Development department. The Senior Manager, Foundation Relations will work primarily on identifying and managing institutional funding and partnership opportunities across the thematic areas of climate change, fisheries and marine conservation, sustainable agriculture and food security as well as Green Recovery in support of Rare’s global programs. The work will focus on collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders, both internal and external, to engage foundations and partners to help build political and financial commitments for community-based, behavior-informed solutions of Rare’s programs. The Sr. Manager will connect effectively with program/country teams in order to collaborate on program development, grant management and stewardship. The individual will report to the Vice President, Foundation Relations and work with her to provide thought partnership on advancing Rare’s development strategy as it relates to foundation partners.
Consistent with the scope above, the position has responsibilities within the following key areas:
Institutional Fundraising and Donor Stewardship
- Work closely with the Vice President, Foundation Relations, program teams and the leadership team to develop and implement strategies to meet annual and long-term fundraising goals for Rare by leveraging existing projects and relationships as well as building new ones;
- Identify and cultivate suitable foundation donors to support Rare’s programs by conducting independent research and/ or building existing relationships and insights
- Develop donor specific engagement and fundraising strategies by creating and implementing donor account strategies for foundation donors.
- Build a strong and strategic pipeline by co-developing and writing compelling project proposals and managing the corresponding processes and coordination;
- Focus on converting the pipeline into actual awards to meet the fundraising goals,
- Develop and deliver events, reports and other donor/prospect communications tactics (both written and oral) to complement the engagement strategy contributing to existing projects and Rare’s Global Engagement Plan;
- Assist the program and country team with the preparation of progress and final reports, by compiling necessary information from program, country, and finance staff and drafting written reports as well as submitting reports in a timely manner.
- Brief colleagues and senior staff members for meetings/ workshops with prospects and donors. If appropriate, lead those meetings and introduce Rare to new donors/ partners and ensure appropriate follow-up. Meetings may take place virtually or in person
- Participate in retreats, weekly meetings, strategy sessions and other activities associated with the overall Development/Communications team
- Stay apprised of Rare’s Foundation Relations portfolio and contribute to the Rare’s development strategy
Management of External Communication and Relationships
- Build Rare’s profile around locally led, behavior-informed solutions by identifying, cultivating and managing key foundation relations and partnerships, including the coordination of representation at key events or partner meetings for Rare’s leadership and program staff;
- Support the communication and country teams by developing compelling communication materials for existing and new donors and partners;
- Attend necessary donor meetings and grant workshops and interact with and respond to questions from foundation representatives.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in foundation fundraising and partnerships;
- Proven ability to network and develop partnerships across a range of stakeholders and a track record of leading the procurement of funds from discovery to award;
- Demonstrated experience in working with the philanthropic foundations community and other relevant partners;
- Excellent track record of developing and managing communications with high-priority external partners;
- Strong understanding of global environmental and development issues in relation to Rare’s mission and programs;
- Superior interpersonal and communications skills, including the ability to engage effectively with staff and partners at all levels in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment
- Exceptional organizational skills to prioritize projects and initiate follow through with meticulous attention to detail;
- Experience in developing and implementing systems and follow-up processes for funding requests and project proposal development,
- Ability to effectively work under pressure, use independent judgment and produce a quality work product within tight time constraints;
- Prior experience in an international, cross-cultural work environment is essential with willingness to work flexible hours on an as-needed basis to serve the needs of a global organization operating across several time zones;
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; proficiency in other languages preferred but not required, (for example, Spanish, French, Portuguese);
- Willingness to travel frequently within the USA, and internationally.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply; EOE/M/F/D/V