*Please note that you must be authorized to live and work in Mexico without sponsorship from Rare to be considered for this role.
Rare inspires change so people and nature thrive. For over 45 years, across 60 countries, we have inspired and empowered millions of people and communities to shift their behaviors and practices to protect our shared planet. Rare’s organizational culture is results-oriented, entrepreneurial, and defined by our five core values: Courage to Take Risks, Commitment to Accountability, Mindset of Solutionology, Investments in People, and Spirit of Celebration.
Rare seeks a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and organized finance or business major to support our work in financial analysis for the organization. A vital member of the finance team, the Finance Assistant's primary duties involve expense reviews, account reconciliations, and providing support to the Finance Director.
This is an ideal opportunity to learn and support the functions of an international NGO with offices in North America, Asia, South America, Europe, and Africa. headquartered in the United States. Excellent Excel skills and fluid communication in English are a must.
The Finance Assistant will exercise independent judgment regarding the following areas of significance:
- Following up with staff to ensure expense reports and timesheets are submitted on time and in compliance in a timely fashion and compliant with current policies
- Auditing expense reports (cash and business credit card) to ensure compliance with institutional policies and procedures
- Creating system reports from the accounting system and time/expense reporting systems to use in financial analysis.
- Escalating staff noncompliance to the appropriate persons
- Ensuring timely reimbursement to Rare employees
- Monitoring and reconciling staff cash advances.
- Reconciling business credit card statements.
- Assisting with answering inquiries from staff and providing information on institutional financial policies and procedures
- Monitoring internal controls and compliance requirements per the organizational policies and procedures.
- Preparing various financial or administrative reports as requested.
- Providing support to finance team to manage and coordinate special projects as assigned.
- Assisting with the annual organizational audit, as needed.
- Superb attention to detail and proven ability to execute highly specific tasks.
- Proven ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Exceptional organizational skills and a high level of interpersonal and problem-solving abilities for handling sensitive and confidential situations
- Initiative to take on new projects and continually exhibit a proactive attitude towards all tasks
- High proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel
- A Bachelor’s degree and experience working in an office environment with exposure to financial transactions and basic accounting functions are preferred.
- Enthusiasm for Rare’s mission and respect for its values, culture, and people
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Comfortable when talking with staff at all levels of an organization with the ability to provide persistent and tactful follow up
- Ability to work across various time-zones, including attending occasional evening and early morning meetings
- Fluency in both Spanish and English (written and verbal) is required.
- Mandarin, Bahasa Indonesian, Portuguese, and/or German, language skills a plus
Rare is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.