Rare’s mission is to inspire change, so people and nature thrive. For more than three decades, Rare has partnered with local organizations to run more than 400 conservation projects in nearly 60 countries all of which rely on humans changing behaviors through community-led solutions such as coastal fishery recovery, regenerative agriculture, and now climate mitigation.
Our people-centered approach is rooted in behavioral science and design thinking. We partner with local leaders and their communities to identify and break down barriers to adopting sustainable environmental practices and make change easier to adopt. We spotlight local solutions that enable communities to develop ownership, responsibility, capacity, and pride in conserving their natural resources and protecting the environment. And together, we shift social norms to make sustainability the default and ensure lasting change. Change is what we do. That’s what makes us Rare.
The Manager, HR Operations & U.S. Benefits is an exciting role for someone with exceptional organizational, execution, and project management skills. A natural problem solver, coupled with a passion to learn, this is a hands on, individual contributor role where you will be the point of contact for all things related to US benefits, Talent operations, policies, and procedures.
The Manager, HR Operations & U.S. Benefits will focus on the following key areas within the Talent team:
- Manage benefits program to include open enrollment, benefits education, compliance, disability, and worker’s comp claims, assist employees with medical claims resolution, benefits broker relationship, change reporting, invoicing, and budget management.
- Serve as liaison between the Talent and Payroll/Finance teams (ensuring deductions are updated), manages the HRIS, supports leave tracking process, communicates changes and adjustments to employees as needed.
- Oversee leave administration including FMLA, STD, LTD, and other Leave of Absence programs.
- Audit administration of the 401(k) benefit, including enrollment of new employees and 401(k) loan or withdrawal processing. Assists with the annual Plan audit and discrimination testing. Provides operations and management support to the 401(k) committee, to include working with Rare’s external financial advisor.
- Manage preparation of reports and filings required by federal and state agencies such as the Internal Revenue Service, Department of Labor, insurance commissioners and other regulatory agencies.
- Manage certain fiduciary obligations and delegations; researches, evaluates, and drafts responses to ERISA benefit claims and participant inquiries on behalf of the plan fiduciaries; assists in the completion of regulatory reporting and filings (such as Forms 5500, etc.)
- Review organizational reports (e.g., benefit metrics, flexible spending usage) from benefit providers and benefits and provide Vice President with overview.
- Ensure legal compliance with HIPAA, ERISA, FMLA, COBRA, ACA, OSHA, and other applicable IRS, DOL, federal and state laws as related to health, wellness, and retirement plans including applicable notices to employees.
- Interface directly with employees on areas of expertise. Identifies, monitors and escalates issues to Vice President as needed.
- Responsible for vendor relationship management and project management oversight. Serve as primary contact for plan vendors and third-party administrators.
- Manage configuration of benefit plans and reporting, self-service options, accompanying process guides, and oversee election changes in the HRIS system
- Evaluate, revise, and improve internal processes and programs to reduce costs and increase efficiency
Manage international institutional benefit plans (e.g., such as life insurance, travel healthcare and global EAP plans)
General Policy & Compliance
- Maintain HR policies, procedures, handbooks, and guides. Communicate changes and interpret new policies to employees and managers.
- Monitor and ensure the organization’s compliance with federal, multiple state, and local employment laws and regulations, complete the filing of employment-related compliance reports, manage compliance with Dept of Labor and Affordable Care Act regulations
- Support compliance with any applicable employment and labor laws in the execution of government contracts.
- Ensure all EEOC and other statutory reports are completed and submitted.
- Manage special projects as needed.
Targeted Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, related field. Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 4 years or more experience in benefit program administration.
- Working knowledge of ADP HRIS system.
- Working knowledge of 401(k) plan administration, preferably Fidelity
- Knowledge of FMLA, HIPAA, ERISA, Title VII protections, ACA, and COBRA regulations.
- Experience with benefits administration and plan management.
- Knowledge of federal contract compliance and regulations, especially USAID.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to influence and drive results in a fast-paced environment
- Related HR certifications preferred (PHR/SPHR, SHRM CP etc.)
- Experience with development and application of of human resource policies and procedures, global experience in Europe, Africa, South America, and Asia, a plus.
- Ability to prioritize workload, must be highly organized, detail-oriented, manage various tasks simultaneously and work independently within limited time constraints with limited supervision.
- Ability to read and interpret written information; write clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar. Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; and participates in meetings.
- Must be comfortable using data and technology to increase efficiency, enhance decision-making and better support our organizational goals.
- Demonstrate awareness, cultural competency, and focus on inclusivity to collaborate with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds globally.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply; EOE/M/F/D/V