*Please note specific work location, details listed below.
Rare inspires change so people and nature thrive. For over 45 years, across 60 countries, we have inspired and empowered millions of people and communities to shift their behaviors and practices to protect our shared planet. Rare’s organizational culture is results-oriented, entrepreneurial, and defined by our five core values: Courage to Take Risks, Commitment to Accountability, Mindset of Solutionology, Investments in People, and Spirit of Celebration.
*The selected candidate will be hired as a local national in one of the following countries and must have active work authorization in the country of hire:
Rare is seeking an exceptional leader to join our Global Development team, based in Berlin, Germany. Together with the Vice President for Global Development (GloDev), the Senior Director will be responsible for developing and directing GloDev’s public fundraising. S/he will focus on larger scale investments into the small holder fisheries, small holder agriculture sectors, and behavioral change solutions connected to Rare’s programs. Managing up to five staff on the GloDev team, the Sr. Director’s goal is to mobilize and raise the funds needed to support Rare’s organizational strategy as well as Rare’s Fish Forever’s scaling strategy.
Public Fundraising Strategy
- Work closely with the Vice President, the Global Development team as well as program leadership and Finance to develop and implement strategies to meet annual and long-term fundraising goals for Rare with a focus on large impact projects in support of scaling Rare’s programs, primarily Fish Forever,
- Diversify Rare’s public funding revenue stream with GloDev’s fundraisers to build a pipeline of stable and predictable public funding revenue stream,
- Work across all segments of Rare’s development unit to leverage opportunities and build larger investments towards Rare’s programs, e.g., around co-investments
- In collaboration with the donor leads, develop donor specific engagement and fundraising strategies focused on climate change, fisheries and marine conservation, sustainable agriculture, and food security as well as behavior change in support of Rare’s global programs,
- Identify opportunities in building larger scale and impact driven public funding opportunities
- Work internally across the development team and finance to ensure Glodev’s pipeline and salesforce reports are up to date to enable accurate financial management internally,
- Focus on converting the pipeline into actual programs to meet the fundraising goals
- Stay apprised of Rare’s Global Development and public funding portfolio and provide additional ad hoc support for the global team as needed.
Create Demand and Mobilization of funds
- Build on political commitments, such as UN goals, to foster financial commitments in support of small-scale fishery and agriculture sectors as well as behaviorally led solutions connected to Rare’s programs leveraging GloDev’s policy and partnership strategies
- Directly engage with donors and public institutions to increase investments in technical, financial, and political support for locally led, behavioral informed solutions, with a focus on coastal habitat conservation, sustainable fisheries management, and behavioral solutions.
- Build and leverage financial commitments by connecting policy at the local, national, and global level to increase donor engagement
- Collaborate with donors and partners on submissions, consultations, meetings, in-country missions, and working groups to provide input to donor strategy and priorities
- Work with Rare’s innovative finance team to mobilize and build larger scale investment opportunities for Rare’s programs
Donor Stewardship & Fundraising
- Identify and cultivate additional suitable public donors (e.g., European donors and multilateral donors such as the Green Climate Fund and Development Banks) to support Rare’s programs by conducting independent research and/or building existing relationships and insights around accessing climate change funding for Rare’s programs
- Manage specific donor accounts by providing excellent stewardship, including reporting results and representing Rare at donor and international meetings
- Manage relationships with key governments, agencies, institutions, and other stakeholders in collaboration with the GloDev team based on Rare’s Global Engagement Plan and existing engagement strategies for key international policy meetings
- Build a strong and strategic pipeline by developing and writing compelling project proposals and managing the corresponding processes and coordination of tasks.
- Collaborate with key donors and partners to build high impact partnerships and increase Rare’s pipeline of larger scale opportunities
- Develop and successfully move new funding opportunities from start to close
- Attend necessary donor meetings and grant workshops and interact with and respond to questions from government and donor representatives.
- Represent and backstop key leadership in representing Rare in relevant stakeholder meetings, discussions, and events, including lead/support preparations for Rare’s engagement in relevant conferences and events.
- Provide effective management and collaboration to ensure that the Glo Dev team functions in a collaborative, inclusive and productive fashion that relies on Rare’s core values and strengthens Rare’s culture.
- Manage direct reports performance and career advancement throughout the year, as well as lead their professional development, training, and mentoring.
- Dedicate sufficient time to developing staff and creating opportunities for individual staff to operate at a higher impact level to ensure continuity and delivery of outcomes.
- Ensure the GloDev team is aligned with the latest program progress and that effective and regular communications exist between the global partners and with regional offices, Fish Forever Global initiatives, etc.
- Manage fundraising staff and work across programs to develop winning proposals in support of Rare’s global programs.
- Work with the VP to ensure a collaborative and team-oriented work culture within the GloDev team by bridging silos and supporting collaboration within the team and across Rare
- 10 years of professional experience and excellent knowledge of public funding and partnerships focused on international development and/or climate change, fisheries and marine conservation, sustainable agriculture, and food security.
- 4 years management experience working with senior staff preferably in a fast paced, collaborative, and cross-functional environment with flat hierarchies.
- Proven history of securing long-term public funds for programs in a non-governmental organization from discovery to award.
- Extensive experience and excellent track record in building networks and developing partnerships with a range of stakeholders and in managing communications with high-priority external partners.
- Demonstrated success working with governments, bilateral and multilateral institutions, and other relevant public funding agencies around climate financing across Europe (e.g., Scandinavia, France, EU etc.) and globally (e.g., GCF, ocean and fisheries related donors)
- Strong understanding of global environment and development issues relevant to Rare’s mission and programs
- Ability to leverage political commitments for new financial investments.
- Superior interpersonal and communications skills including the ability to engage effectively with staff and partners at all levels within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment
- Exceptional organizational skills to prioritize projects and initiate follow through with meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, use independent judgment and produce a quality work product within tight time constraints.
- Prior experience in an international, cross-cultural work environment is essential with willingness to work flexible hours on an as-needed basis to serve the needs of a global organization with diverse time zones.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required; proficiency in other languages preferred but not required; for example, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian and/or French.
- Ability to travel frequently within and between Europe, the USA, and other locations
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply: M/F/D/V