Rare inspires change so people and nature thrive. For over 45 years, across 60 countries, we have inspired and empowered millions of people and their communities to shift their behaviors and practices to protect our shared planet. We are a global leader in driving social change for people and nature. We facilitate solutions that help individuals, their communities and their local leaders tackle global environmental challenges, manage their resources, and take charge of their futures. And we believe that the cumulative power of individual and community action is a vital pathway to safeguarding and restoring our shared waters, lands, and climate.
Rare’s organizational culture is results-oriented, entrepreneurial, and defined by our five core values: Courage to Take Risks, Commitment to Accountability, Mindset to Focus on Solution, Investments in People, and Spirit of Celebration. We are working toward ambitious goals and creating measurable social change.
Rare’s Fish Forever team is an innovative global movement to transform near-shore fisheries (www.fishforever.org). Fish Forever is Rare's comprehensive solution proposal to revitalize inshore fishing and improve the lives of communities. Our approach aims to empower fishermen to become co-responsible for managing coastal ecosystems and to adopt responsible fishing practices and to establish partnerships with governments for public policy reform.
Rare aims to increase its profile and branding in Indonesia to engage various stakeholders including governments, donors, academic institutions, and other organizations. The Sr. Associate, Communications & Events reports to the Vice President, Indonesia and works closely with the Indonesia Leadership Team, Rare’s marketing and communications department, and Fish Forever project staff. In coordination with the Vice President and the Indonesia leadership team. The Sr. Associate, Communications and Events will develop and coordinate communication plans and strategies for Rare in Indonesia. This includes supporting the creation and execution of media and public relations plans as well as organizing events, including workshops, roundtable discussions, etc. This position will help Rare by capturing bright spots and success stories and package them into materials for key stakeholders, whose support and buy-in are critical to our scaling strategy. The Sr. Associate will also serve as the communications point of contact in Indonesia for all of Rare.
- Collect and analyze stories and information and identify which will be most relevant to the specific target audience based on their motivations, priority areas, targets, and Rare’s objectives in engaging with these groups.
- Write and edit key communications to various stakeholders including reports and newsletters.
- Collaborate with the U.S.-based Marketing & Communications team to support the Rare brand in Indonesia by ensuring that all communications materials are consistent with Rare’s brand.
- Leverage global marketing and communications materials to help support country efforts
- Contract and coordinate with designers, photographers, journalists, and videographers to produce content as needed.
Communication Plan and Strategy
- Support the development of a multi-year strategy to increase the awareness, credibility, and profile of Rare in Indonesia in line with the overall goals of the country strategy.
- In collaboration with the Vice President and the Indonesia Leadership Team, develop a communications plan for specific target audiences, namely local and national government units, public funders, foundations, philanthropists, impact investors and venture capitalists, private industries, other nonprofit organizations, academic institutions, key individuals and the general public.
- Identify current knowledge assets and develop systems to capture, search for, store and share key program information within the team.
- Develop compelling knowledge products and package them to influence identified target audiences, including researching and capturing learning and experiences from the sites that will be relevant to developing communications tools for various audiences; contract and supervise graphic artists to execute media and PR plans
- Improve practices within Rare Indonesia’s team to reinforce the value of sharing and adapting knowledge. This will include managing programmatic stories and learning and developing creative materials.
Support for Donor Communication
- Work with the Vice President on relevant program leads to produce compelling and comprehensive donor reports.
Media and PR work
- Help establish relationships with the media to increase awareness of Rare in Indonesia.
- Work with a PR firm to produce news articles releases, event coverage, and PR plans.
- Together with the VP & Operations Team, develop event plans to support the overall country strategy specifically related to government demand and resource mobilization initiative, This will include event management and logistics for national and local events aimed at increasing Rare’s profile in identified areas.
- Work closely with Rare’s Marketing and Communications team to support relevant global efforts and Indonesia’s country strategy; collaboratively identify and pursue opportunities that will help increase Rare’s brand and profile in Indonesia and in the region.
- Collaborate with other departments and provide necessary support to achieve the goals of Rare Indonesia’s team.
- The candidate must have at least 3-4 years of work experience in developing and implementing communications plans either in the private sector or in non-governmental organizations
- At least 1- 2 years of experience in events management that includes planning, logistics, and implementation.
- Demonstrated success managing relationships with the media, governments, and other stakeholders.
- The ability to write clear and compelling content for internal and external audiences.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Masters highly preferred.
- Applicant should be fluent in English and Bahasa Indonesia
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply; EOE/M/F/D/V