Rare inspires change so people and nature thrive. For over 45 years, across 60 countries, we have inspired and empowered millions of people and their communities to shift their behaviors and practices to protect our shared planet. We are a global leader in driving social change for people and nature. We facilitate solutions that help individuals, their communities and their local leaders tackle global environmental challenges, manage their resources, and take charge of their futures. And we believe that the cumulative power of individual and community action is a vital pathway to safeguarding and restoring our shared waters, lands, and climate.
Rare’s organizational culture is results-oriented, entrepreneurial, and defined by our five core values: Courage to Take Risks, Commitment to Accountability, Mindset of Solutionology, Investments in People, and Spirit of Celebration. We are working toward ambitious goals and creating measurable social change.
Rare is making strides towards promoting widespread sustainable fishing practices in multiple countries. In Indonesia, Rare is currently working with the goal of improving near shore fisheries. Rare’s Innovative Finance Initiative supports this by providing financial solutions to local governments that enable them to build resilient coastal communities through three key intervention areas: (1) investing in reserves and management; (2) creating pathways for microbusiness formalization and financial inclusion; and (3) enhancing domestic value chains.
We are currently searching for a Senior Manager to support the Innovative Finance work in Indonesia.
The Senior Manager will report directly to the Senior Director of Innovative Finance in Arlington, VA for assignment and product content and will also report administratively to the Vice President, Indonesia based in Bogor. In this critical role, the Senior Manager will collaborate closely with members of the Indonesia team, including the Director of Financial Inclusion and Gender Integration and the Director of Program and Policy to engage with key stakeholders, including national and local governments, development finance institutions, investment banks, multi-lateral organizations, and NGOs.
The ideal candidate has experience both with the private and public sectors, with a background in such fields as investment banking, developing structured financial products, and / or development finance, and governmental relations. The candidate will be dynamic, entrepreneurial, and high-energy, with the ability to work productively and independently across different teams and cultures. S/he will be creative, analytical and organized, and a strong communicator.
Support and manage innovative finance projects and plan for the establishment of innovative finance structures in Indonesia.
- Lead the development of a project pipeline for innovative finance in Indonesia.
- Maintain and expand relationships to explore collaborative opportunities with development finance institutions, multilateral banks, and international organizations to include, but not limited to, the Asian Development Bank and the World Bank Group
- In coordination with the Indonesia Program Team, support formalization of the small-scale fishery sector, including microbusinesses, and increase accessibility of social protection to fishing household communities (for instance through facilitating local access to formal financial product and services such as bank account, microinsurance, etc.).
- In coordination with the Indonesia Policy and Government team, convene high-level Working Group meetings between government and Rare
- In coordination with the Global Innovative Finance team, analyze, research, develop, and present innovative financing scheme/project
- Develop and manage project plans for Indonesia-based innovative finance initiatives
- Support development and roll-out of financial management tools and capacity building programs, such as financial literacy trainings and financial portal/digital ledger app
- Organize data collection and reporting at both the provincial and national level
- Analyze legal & policy frameworks and draft summary reports
- Support the writing and development of terms of reference, concept note, proposals, reports, budgeting, documents, and publication materials
- Coordinate financial analysis work with the Innovative Finance Senior Manager in Arlington
- Manage the delivery of feasibility studies, and landscape analyses
- Expand relationships by effectively managing stakeholders. Ability to operate and understand nuanced partner relations required
- Represent Rare in relevant national events as coordinated with Senior Director of Innovative Finance and/or Rare Indonesia VP
Assist internal management of Innovative Finance
- Manage resources including time and funds to ensure that the Innovative Finance workplans and activities are integrated in the broader work of Rare in Indonesia
- Keep Indonesia team regularly updated on Innovative Finance activities
- Liaise and support communication internally between Rare teams based in Indonesia, Philippines, and the USA
Required Experience & Competencies:
- A minimum of 5-8 years of experience in development finance, international or government relations, with experience in finance or economics.
- Understanding of Indonesian legal systems, policies, and regulations relevant to investment and finance.
- Excellent organizational capacity in managing tasks, people, and government relationships.
- Excellent ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with proven success in being able to thrive in a fast paced, high expectation, project environment.
- Basic understanding of marine and fishery issues and work with relevant government agencies preferred.
- Experience in solving problems and ability to apply conflict resolution and negotiation techniques to achieve results.
- Ability to self-manage and to adjust to competing priorities and allocate time as necessary to get the job done.
- Fluent in Bahasa and professionally fluent in English– both written and oral.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required such as economics, finance, banking, law. Master’s degree preferred.
- While this position is primarily located in the Greater Jakarta Area, the Senior Manager is expected to work out of the Bogor office up to 30% of the time. In addition, this position requires domestic travel to Southeast Sulawesi, North Sulawesi, and other locations. International travel to the United States and Europe will be required post-COVID 19.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply. EOE/M/F/D/V