Rare is the global leader in driving social change to help people and nature thrive. We have helped thousands of people across hundreds of communities in over 60 countries shift their behaviors and practices to protect the nature that sustains their lives, livelihoods, and communities.
Our people-centered approach is rooted in behavioral science and design thinking. We partner with local leaders and their communities to identify and break down barriers to adopting sustainable environmental practices, and make change easier to adopt. We spotlight local solutions that enable communities to develop ownership, responsibility, capacity, and pride in conserving their natural resources and protecting the environment. And together, we shift social norms to make sustainability the default and ensure lasting change.
At Rare, we believe that the cumulative power of individual and collective action is a vital pathway to safeguarding and restoring our shared waters, lands, and atmosphere. With the right tools, knowledge, resources, and partnerships, individuals and communities can adopt sustainable behaviors and practices, and seed change that spreads across entire regions and countries.
Change is what we do. That’s what makes us Rare.
Rare seeks a Director Policy & Partnerships to join our Rare Indonesia team. Reporting to the Vice President, the Director, Policy and Government Engagement will design and implement policy engagement with government at national, provincial and district level to support the design and establishment of Managed Access + Reserve and other components of Fish Forever at the selected locations; and to support the adoption of the solutions to reaching massive scaling of Fish Forever in Indonesia. The Director Policy and Government Engagement will also support the Indonesia leadership team in engaging government and other relevant stakeholders to secure legal establishment and operation of Rare in Indonesia.
Organization wide, the Director, Policy and Government Engagement will also serve as key personnel in the global development team working to advance collaboration of government leaders from all Fish Forever countries. As part of country leadership team, Director, Policy and Government Engagement will support fund raising, team development and management, and strategic management of Indonesia Program.
The Director, Policy and Government Engagement will exercise independent judgment regarding the following areas of significance:
- Guided by the Country VP, the Director will develop strategy for national, provincial and district level government engagement and execute it with other members of the team, aiming to support implementation of Fish Forever, and scaling the adoption of Fish Forever in the targeted provinces and nationally
- Director, Policy and Government Engagement will communicate the strategy and execution plan with other team members of Rare Indonesia and Rare globally for alignment and synergy and manage the team, including cross functional team members (based on RACI principles) to achieve the goal
- Director, Policy and Government Engagement will lead engagement and interaction with government officials at national and provincial level to attain Policy and Government Engagement support to Fish Forever implementation and scaling, and to support Rare legal and operation in the country as well as for fundraising.
- Together with other member of the leadership team of Rare Indonesia, Director, Policy and Government Engagement will also co-manage engagement with other relevant stakeholders so support implementation of Rare program, fund raising, and improve Rare’s visibility in the country and globally
- Guided by Country VP, Director, Policy and Government Engagement and other Indonesia leadership team will work on raising fund for Indonesia in collaboration with global development team including, seeking and identifying opportunities for fund raising, developing proposal/concept notes, reporting of projects, and managing relationship with donors as guided by development team and country VP.
- Guided by Country VP, Director and other members of Indonesia Leadership Team will represent Rare in national fora for keeping our visibility and ensuring Rare to become thoughts partners to government and other key stakeholders in fishery and marine conservation space.
- A Master degree (Doctor degree is preferred) in Public Policy, Marine and Fishery Science, Environmental Science, Public Administration with more than 10 years of government engagement and policy experience, and have worked closely with relevant national government agencies;
- Familiarity with the global and national policies and processes of relevant government agencies will be an advantage
- Knowledge global, regional and local issues on climate change, coastal area development, marine and fisheries, and biodiversity
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively communicate across all levels within a culturally diverse organization;
- Excellent planning, organization, project management and people management skills;
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate complex program content;
- Strong management skills; the maturity, integrity and experience to influence and engage senior leaders, partners and peers;
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can capitalize his/her team capacities and positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives;
- A commitment to Rare’s mission and values, including a passion for environmental conservation and social wellbeing in the developing world;
- Ability to thrive in cross-functional team environments to build relationships across geographical distances, cultural communities, and up and down the organizational structure;
- Willingness to participate in national/international travel as needed;
- Written and spoken fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia is required.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply. EOE/M/F/D/V