Rare is a fast-growing international conservation organization making strides towards promoting widespread sustainable fishing practices in multiple countries. In Indonesia, Rare is currently working with the goal of improving near shore fisheries. Most of the small-scale fisheries in Indonesia are inherently local as fishers from coastal communities fish their near-shore waters and sell their catch in local markets. These fisheries are anchors to the local economy – a key part of the social and cultural fabric of the archipelago and essential to the nation’s food security. To ensure sustainable coastal fisheries, effective management must focus at the same level as the activity: locally.
Under the Innovative Finance Initiative, Rare is providing financial solutions to local governments that enable them to build resilient coastal communities through three key intervention areas: (1) investing in reserves and management; (2) creating pathways for formalization and inclusion; and (3) enhancing domestic value chains. This position will have a dual reporting relationship: s/he will report to the Senior Director of Innovative Finance in Arlington, VA for assignment and product content. This position also reports administratively to Vice President, Indonesia. In this critical role, the Senior Manager will collaborate closely with the Indonesia Financial Inclusion team and the Director for Policy in Indonesia to engage with key stakeholders, including national and local governments, development finance institutions, investment banks, multi-lateral organizations, and NGOs. A significant understanding of development finance and economic government policies is required.
The ideal candidate has experience both with the private and public sectors, with a background in such fields as investment banking, developing structured financial products, and / or development finance, and governmental relations. The candidate will be dynamic, entrepreneurial, and high-energy, with the ability to work productively and independently across different teams and cultures. S/he will be creative, analytical and organized, and a strong communicator.
They will be tasked with the following responsibilities:
Support and manage innovative finance projects and plan for the establishment of innovative finance structures in Indonesia.
- Lead the development of a project pipeline for innovative finance in Indonesia.
- Maintain and expand relationships to explore collaborative opportunities with development finance institutions, multilateral banks, and international organizations to include, but not limited to, the Asian Development Bank and the World Bank Group.
- In coordination with the Indonesia Program Team, support formalization of the small-scale fishery sector, including microbusinesses, and facilitate local access to formal financial services.
- In coordination with the Indonesia Policy and Government team, convene high-level Working Group meetings between government and Rare
- Develop and manage project plans for Indonesia-based innovative finance initiatives
- Support development and roll-out of financial management capacity building programs for local governments, such as financial literacy trainings.
- Organize data collection and reporting at both the provincial and national level
- Analyze legal & policy frameworks and draft summary reports
- Support the writing of proposals, reports, documents and publication materials
- Coordinate financial analysis work with the Innovative Finance Senior Manager in Arlington.
- Manage the delivery of feasibility studies and landscape analyses.
- Expand relationships by effectively managing stakeholders. Ability to operate and understand nuanced partner relations required.
Assist internal management of Innovative Finance
- Manage resources including time and funds to ensure that the Innovative Finance workplans and activities are integrated in the broader work of Rare in Indonesia
- Keep Indonesia team regularly updated on Innovative Finance activities
- Liaise and support communication internally between Rare teams based in Indonesia, Philippines, and the USA
Travel - Long-term flexible telework options available during COVID-19
- While this position is primarily located in the Greater Jakarta
Area, the Senior Manager is expected to work out of the Bogor office up to 30% of the time. In addition, this position requires domestic travel to South East Sulawesi, North Sulawesi and other locations. International travel to the United States and Europe will be required post-COVID 19.
Required Experience and Education
- A minimum of 5-8 years of experience in development finance, international or government relations, with experience in finance or economics.
- Understanding of Indonesian legal systems, policies and regulations relevant to investment and finance.
- Excellent organizational capacity in managing tasks, people and government relationships.
- Excellent ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with proven success in being able to thrive in a fast paced, high expectation, project environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required such as economics, finance, banking, law. Master’s degree preferred.
- Basic understanding of marine and fishery issues and work with relevant government agencies preferred.
- Experience in solving problems and ability to apply conflict resolution and negotiation techniques to achieve results.
- Ability to self-manage and to adjust to competing priorities and allocate time as necessary to get the job done.
- Proficient in English and Bahasa – both written and oral.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply; EOE/M/F/D/V