Rare is an international non-profit organization committed to scaling behavior-centered solutions for conservation. It is implementing a global initiative called Fish Forever, which is focused on coastal fisheries reform. Rare is about to embark on a new three-year grant, called “Scaling Community-Based Fisheries Management in Mozambique”, under the Oceans 5, which will be implemented in Mozambique in six (6) Communities (Matutuine district, community of Machangulo; Inharrime district: community of Zavora; Massinga district: community of Pomene; Inhassoro district: Community of Fequete; Memba district-Community of Memba-sede; and Ilha de Mocambique district. This grant will:
- Leverage current investments by the Blue Action Fund (BAF) across all six communities by supporting critical activities that are not allowable under BAF funding restrictions:Strengthen the connection between Community Fisheries Council (CCP) and local government for Managed Access and Reserve (MA+R) management, including supporting local government participation in co-management activities.
- Improve fisheries monitoring using the OurFish app and connect the data back to user groups through data accessibility and user training for fishers, buyers, CCPs, and local government officials.
- Support targeted behavior adoption campaigns to reinforce key behaviors around responsible fishing including fisher registration, catch monitoring, participation in management, and compliance with regulations.
- Accelerate the adoption of Fish Forever in Ilha de Mocambique – selected when we closed our operations in Mefunvo, Cabo Delgado district in 2019 because of ongoing security concerns. This area already has community and local government buy-in and an urgent need for local fisheries reform due to the chronic pressure of 5,000 local fishers reliant on mangroves, sea grass, and coral reef areas.
Rare is seeking to hire a Program Associate who will be responsible for supporting program implementation in Ilha de Mocambique. He/she shall perform the following range of duties and responsibilities:
Program Management Support
Working closely with Rare’s Program Implementation manager assigned to Nampula province , as well as Rare Mozambique and training teams, the Program Associate shall help ensure the effective delivery of the program in Ilha de Mocambique, primarily through, but not limited to, the following ways:
- Organize and provide administrative and logistics support to meetings, training events and workshops
- Coordinate and communicate with local partners and stakeholders, facilitate reporting and monitoring of activities
- Oversee procurement and contracting for third party service and goods providers
- Coordinate with consultants and assist project recipients to ensure a smooth conduct of all activities
- Data collection (M and E documents) and compilation of reports from sites
- Documentation during meetings and workshops
- Perform other related duties as maybe deemed necessary to ensure a successful turnout of workshops and other activities
Administration and Operations Support
- The Program Associate shall coordinate closely with the Finance and Operations team based in Maputo Mozambique and the PIM for Nampula province to ensure the smooth operation of activities.
- Ensure compliance with Rare’s financial requirements and support submission of expense reports and other documentation
- Assist consultants and partners in submitting expense reports and other relevant documents like approved work and financial plan to comply with financial requirements of Rare.
- Maintain supplies, office equipment, subscriptions etc as needed
- Facilitate coordination and regular check-in’s with supervisor and all Rare Mozambique team
- Maintain an effective filing system for the program implementation and operations in Ilha de Mocambique
- Take minutes of regular team meetings
- Maintain and update the database and mailing list of partners and stakeholders thru Smartsheet or Microsoft Office suite
- Maintain and regularly update travel plans including coordinating with travel agency/ies to obtain estimated fares and quotations
- Coordinate with Rare Technologies in Arlington office for the delivery of IT services and technology needs;
- Manage IT assets and inform IT of any problems or changes;
Required Experience and Education:
- A minimum of three (3) years relevant working experience is a must;
Bachelor’s degree in social science, natural science, business administration, or any related course;
- Ability to accurately and efficiently review and analyze detailed information;
- Knowledge of local fiscal and labor requirements a strong plus;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multitask;
- Experience in procurement and management duties; working with IT systems a plus;
- Proven ability in logistics support, both program and admin; exceptional in collaborating with different teams to find creative solutions to logistical needs;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, handle confidential and sensitive issues and information;
- Proficiency in the use of computers for: Word processing, basic accounting, managing databases, spreadsheets and familiarity on use of online project management tools;
- Ability to manage changing priorities and competing deadlines to ensure high quality standards;
- Good communication skills, both oral and written;
- Proficiency in Portuguese, English. Local language a strong plus.
- Enthusiasm for Rare’s mission and respect for its values, culture, and people.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply; EOE/M/F/D/V