Rare is a $30 million-dollar fast-growing, international conservation organization. We believe conservation comes down to people—their behaviors toward nature, their beliefs about its value, and their ability to protect it without sacrificing basic life needs. Rare’s culture is results-oriented and entrepreneurial.
We are working toward ambitious goals and creating measurable social change. With initiatives such as Fish Forever, Sustainable Agriculture, Blended Finance, Lands for Life, and the Center for Behavior & the Environment, Rare is on a mission to “inspire change so people and nature thrive”.
The Associate, Grants and Contracts provides support to help ensure efficient grants, contract and sub-agreement management in full compliance with Rare and donor policies and procedures. The Associate will oversee a portfolio of duties to support program and project leaders in coordinating all aspects of sub-agreements and procurement, from pre-award through close-out.
He/She will be responsible for issuing and monitoring sub-agreements and assisting in ensuring that Rare complies with required donor award terms and conditions for each subagreement or contract entered into by the organization. The Associate, Grants and Contracts will be supervised by Rare's Senior Manager, Grants, Contracts and Procurement and will work closely with all finance team members, program staff and the development team.
- Ensure Rare-issued contracts and subgrants and payments are prepared in accordance with organizational policies and donor requirements
- Review and analyze all pre-award financial due diligence documentation to assess financial capacity and internal controls of subgrantees, establishing appropriate financial risk mitigation measures as needed
- Review procurement documents prior to signature, ensuring compliance with organizational and prime donor procurement policies
- Monitor sub-agreement deadlines, deliverables, cash flow, and expiration dates
- Maintain sub-agreement database and files, ensuring that information is up-to-date and accurate
- Provide regular training to staff and subgrantees around the world on subgrants, contracts and procurement
- Preparation of special reports as needed
Required Experience and Education
- Bachelor's degree and 2 years relevant work experience or equivalent
- Proven ability in project management and collaborating with different teams to problem solve and find creative solutions
- Exceptional organizational skills to prioritize projects and initiate follow-through with meticulous attention to detail
- Superior interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written, and the ability to engage effectively with staff at all levels in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment
- Sound business judgment and ability to manage shifting priorities and competing deadlines to ensure accuracy and high-quality standards
- Experience with CRM programs such as Salesforce; automated accounting systems, such as Intacct; and time and expense systems, such as Nexonia
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Prior experience in an international, cross-cultural work environment with willingness to work flexible hours on an as-needed basis to serve the needs of a global organization with diverse time zone needs
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin Chinese, or Bahasa Indonesia
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply; EOE/M/F/D/V