Project Overview/Core Responsibilities
Rare is a fast-growing international conservation organization making strides towards promoting widespread sustainable fishing practices in multiple countries.
Under the Blended Finance Initiative, Rare is developing pathways to finance community-led conservation at scale by blending philanthropy, public funding, bilateral/multilateral finance and private capital. This position will work with the Senior Director and the Blended Finance Initiative (BFI) team on strategy and will help provide the financial analysis, models, and research to design and scale blended finance solutions in Indonesia and the Philippines, and other countries in which Rare operates.
Additionally, this role will work with key external stakeholders including national and local governments, development finance institutions (DFIs), investment banks, multi-lateral organizations, and NGOs. A significant understanding of development finance and economic policies is required.
The Blended Finance Senior Manager must be an effective manager, able to deliver results on a tight timeline and work with a variety of stakeholders tracking deliverables on a complex financial product to ensure that the project is completed according to the key specifications by the set deadline.
Support the development and implementation of Blended Finance Products, reporting to the Senior Director of Blended Finance in Arlington.
- Provide support on all the blended finance Initiative’s investment and advisory operations, including problem solving on complex issues of implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Manages project plans; facilitates agreement with project participants regarding assignments; and ensures completion of work within agreed upon timeline.
- Produce accurate and timely reports, lessons learned, case studies, and examples.
- Identify and analyze blended finance products and green bonds issuances, through research; networking; rigorous monitoring, evaluation and learning.
- Contribute to the development of an internal ESG criteria and green bonds methodology.
- Keep abreast of multilateral development banks and relevant financial institutions use of blended finance resources.
- Contribute to the development of the technical design for proposals. Support the process of preparation, design, submission and approval of project concepts and full-fledged proposals.
- Analyze legal & policy frameworks and draft summary reports.
- Coordinate financial analysis work with the Blended Finance Senior Director and Financial Analyst.
- Travel internationally to meet with project partners and Rare regional teams and to conduct research relevant to project goals
- Participate in weekly meetings with the Blended Finance Team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Strategy, Fundraising, & Communications
- Conduct empirical research to elevate natural resource management as a development priority for key national and sub-national decision-makers.
- In coordination with Senior Director and BFI team, pursue fundraising opportunities for innovative blended finance solutions.
- Contribute to internal and external communications to relevant audiences, establishing thought leadership in appropriate venues.
- Present blended finance solutions at international conferences and lead blended finance workshops.
Required Experience and Education
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience in development finance, international or government relations, with experience in finance or economics.
- Understanding of international policies and regulatory environments relevant to investment and finance. Knowledge or experience in green finance, including climate finance, green bonds, relevant project finance, and impact investing preferred.
- Excellent organizational capacity in managing tasks, people and government relationships
- Excellent ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with proven success in being able to thrive in a fast paced, high expectation, project environment .
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required such as economics, finance, banking, law, international development, etc. ; Master’s degree highly preferred.
- Experience in solving problems and ability to apply conflict resolution and negotiation techniques to achieve results;
- Solution oriented, having a strong understanding of diversity and other cultures.
- Ability to self-manage and to adjust to competing priorities and allocate time as necessary to get the job done.
- Basic understanding of marine and fishery issues, climate change, and environmental policy and governance preferred.
- Fluency in English a must; Proficiency in another language, particularly Filipino/Tagolog, Bahasa Indonesia, and Spanish, a plus.
- Experience in using MS Office suite, databases, graphics.
- International travel is required for this position.