In a recent report, Changing Behaviors to Reduce U.S. Emissions: Seven Pathways to Climate Impact, Rare identified the critical role individual behaviors can play in reducing greenhouse gas emissions. If just ten percent of Americans adopted seven behaviors (plant-rich diet, electric vehicles, green energy/rooftop solar, food waste reduction, carbon offsets, flying less, and getting engaged socially and politically), US greenhouse gases would decrease by 0.8 gigatons annually, representing an avoided cost of $22 billion.
Rare seeks an entrepreneurial and task-oriented Associate to work directly with the Make it Personal leadership team to help drive forward a new US Climate Change Campaign.
The Associate will play a critical role in helping the team to capture and manage knowledge across a range of priorities while also helping to understand core project questions and organize the team to effectively move the work forward. As the knowledge manager, the Associate will be responsible for creating a system to capture knowledge, helping to prepare for and participate in internal and external meetings, and capturing and synthesizing notes and insights from meetings. The Associate will also be responsible for conducting research and creating presentations and documents to support internal and external meetings. The Associate will serve as a project manager for the team, planning and managing project timelines and communicating any anticipated changes in efforts to ensure expectations are well managed. The Associate will also manage the budget and the calendars of the SVP and VP of Make it Personal.
The Associate, Make it Personal exercises independent judgment regarding the following areas of significance:
- Establish and manage project plans that help the team stay on track with project scope, budget, and timeline.
- Manage project tracking and map the team delivery on long-term objectives.
- Plan agendas for client check-ins, and strategizing on approach to facilitating crucial team conversations to move the project forward.
- Capture key takeaways from meetings and organize the team for next-steps.
- Establish and oversee an effective and well-documented paper and/or electronic records management system for correspondence and other materials. Develop and maintain databases or systems as requested to track and organize program information, e.g., programs, projects, initiatives, staff.
Ensure that relevant deliverables are completed on time and at a high quality.
- Liaise with other teams, including the regional and program teams, to ensure relevant stakeholders are engaged.
- Review monthly budget reports and reconcile against invoices.
Review and approves monthly departmental timesheets.
- Ensure that spending and burn rate do not exceed finance guidelines.
- Track relevant grants and deliverables.
- Manage the scheduling of regular and ad hoc meetings, appointments, and conference calls for relevant teams and departments. Oversee coordination of related arrangements and logistics (such as coordination of outside participants, meeting rooms, presentation equipment, and agenda preparation, and distribution of reports and materials).
- Coordinate travel, meeting arrangements, and conference calls involving multiple parties, including regional staff. Coordinate logistical needs and prepare detailed itineraries including, but not limited to: airline/airport information, rental car arrangements, hotel information, meeting times, who meetings are with, meeting location, parking instructions, lunch and/or dinner arrangements, directions/maps to hotels, background research and preparation, and any other information that may be required.
Communications Management and Development Support
- Coordinate, draft and manage correspondence with critical internal and external
stakeholders, including donors and strategic partners
- Manage the MIP@rare.org inbox and direct requests to appropriate team members
- Manage internal communications with various stakeholders including program teams and development.
Liaise with internal teams including development, communications, and programs to manage projects and gather expertise as needed.
Special Projects and Event Management
- Catalogue and maintain relevant research in US Climate Change and Behavioral Insights
- Draft content (such as PowerPoint slides, talking points, etc.) to be used across MIP
- Support MIP Projects, such as logistics for behavior-centered design trainings and events, such as MIP launch and SXSW
- Manage administrative tasks associated with projects, including coordinating meeting times, planning for in-person trips that require travel, and sharing pertinent information on budget and timeline with the operations team
Experience and Education:
- A minimum of 2-3 years’ experience providing impeccable support to a senior manager with demonstrated success coordinating priority projects, internal and external communications, fundraising for market-related activities, and budget management.
- Proven ability in project management and collaboration with different teams to problem solve and find creative solutions is essential.
- Exceptional organizational skills to prioritize projects and initiate follow through with meticulous attention to detail.
- Superior interpersonal and communications skills including the ability to engage effectively with staff at all levels in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment.
- Exceptional writing skills (sample will be required during the interview process).
- Sound business judgment and the ability to manage shifting priorities and competing deadlines to ensure accuracy and high quality standards while applying a systems view of outcomes and impact.
- Proven ability to develop solid working relationships which includes understanding of the dynamics necessary to work efficiently and effectively within the context of a global organization.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.