Project Overview/Core Responsibilities
Rare is a fast-growing international conservation organization making strides towards promoting widespread sustainable fishing practices in multiple countries. To ensure sustainable coastal fisheries, effective management must focus at the same level as the activity: locally.
Rare is developing a pathway to finance community-led conservation at scale by blending philanthropy, public funding, bilateral/multilateral finance and private capital. This position will have a dual reporting relationship; it will report to the Director of Blended Finance in Arlington, VA for assignments and product content and will report administratively to Vice President, Philippines. Additionally, this role will work with key external stakeholders including national and local governments, development finance institutions (DFIs), investment banks, multi-lateral organizations, and NGOs. A significant understanding of development finance and economic government policies is required.
The ideal candidate has experience both with the private and public sectors, including, for instance in investment banking, developing structured financial products, and / or development finance, and governmental relations and will be dynamic, entrepreneurial and high-energy, with the ability to work productively and independently across different teams and cultures. S/he will be creative, analytical and organized. Demonstrated success in managing high-impact initiatives from concept through to completion with a strong record of achievement of desired outcomes and strong project management skills are prerequisites for this role.
S/he will be tasked with the following responsibilities:
The Blended Finance Director must be able to deliver results on a tight timeline and working with high level government officials tracking deliverables on a complex financial product to ensure that the project is completed according to the key specifications by the set deadline.
Support and manage blended finance projects and plan for the establishment of Blended Finance structure(s), reporting to the Director of Blended Finance in Arlington, but working in close collaboration with the Rare Philippines VP.
- Maintain and expand relationships to explore collaborative opportunities with development finance institutions, multilateral banks, and international organizations to include, but not limited to, the Asian Development Bank, the United Nations Development Programme, and the World Bank Group.
- In coordination with the Philippines policy and government team, convene high-level Working Group meetings between government and Rare
- Support development and roll-out of financial management capacity building programs for local governments
- Organize data collection and reporting at both the provincial and national level
- Analyze legal & policy frameworks and draft summary reports
- Hire and manage technical consultants as needed
- Support the writing of proposals, reports, documents and publication materials
- Coordinate financial analysis work with the Blended Finance Director in Arlington and Senior Financial Analyst
- Participate in all required Blended Finance meetings. Due to the international nature of our global offices, flexible working hours may be required.
- Manage the delivery of the feasibility studies and landscape analysis.
- Expand relationships by effectively managing stakeholders. Ability to operate and understand nuanced partner relations required.
- Report on the progress of blended finance work plans and/or project plans.
Assist internal management of BF
- Liaise and support communication internally between Rare teams based in Indonesia, Philippines and the USA.
- Manage resources including time, funds, and staff and ensure that the Blended Finance workplans and activities are integrated in the broader work of Rare in Philippines.
- Keep Philippines team regularly updated on Blended Finance activities
Required Experience and Education
- A minimum of 8-10 years of experience in development finance, international or government relations, with experience in finance or economics.
- Understanding of Philippine legal systems, policies and regulations relevant to investment and finance.
- Excellent organizational capacity in managing tasks, people and government relationships.
- Excellent ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with proven success in being able to thrive in a fast paced, high expectation, project environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required such as economics, finance, banking, law, Master’s degree highly preferred.
- Experience in solving problems and ability to apply conflict resolution and negotiation techniques to achieve results.
- Solution oriented, having a strong understanding of diversity and other cultures.
- Ability to self-manage and to adjust to competing priorities and allocate time as necessary to get the job done.
- Proficient in English and Filipino/Tagalog languages – both written and oral.
- Experience in using MS Office suite, databases, graphics.
- This position will be located in Manila, Philippines.
- This position requires international travel to the United States.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply; EOE/M/F/DN