Rare inspires change so people and nature thrive. Conservation ultimately comes down to people – their behaviors toward nature, their beliefs about its value, and their ability to protect it without sacrificing basic life needs. And so, conservationists must become as skilled in social change as in science; as committed to community-based solutions as national and international policymaking.
Over more than three decades, Rare has partnered with local organizations to run more than 400 behavior change projects in nearly 60 countries, promoting community-led adoption of solutions across sustainable coastal fisheries management, fuel-efficient cookstove use, reciprocal water agreements, regenerative agriculture, recycling and waste management, wildlife demand reduction, and more. Rare launched the Center for Behavior & the Environment in 2017 to bring the best insights from behavioral science and design to tackle some of the world’s most challenging environmental issues. Through partnership with leading academic and research institutions, we are translating the science of human behavior into practical solutions for conservationists worldwide.
Rare is looking for a creative, entrepreneurial and collaborative team member to lead the design and development of the Center for Behavior & the Environment’s (BE.Center) learning products. One of the three pillars of the BE.Center’s strategy is to ‘Build Ability’ of practitioners and partners to design smart, behavior-centered solutions to the challenges on which they are working. To do this, the BE.Center is offering a new suite of training and learning products to help translate behavioral insights into effective conservation and environment programs. Reporting to the Senior Director, Center for Behavior & the Environment and working closely with other members of the BE.Center team including the Director, Campaigning for Conservation, the Learning Design Lead will steer the design of these learning experiences.
The Learning Design Lead will exercise independent judgment and a collaborative approach regarding the following areas of significance:
- Training/learning experience development
- Lead development of creative and innovative instructional design strategies to teach partners and clients the principles, approaches and abilities of behavior-centered design, tailored to varying backgrounds, geographies and educational levels
- Collaborate with the Director, Campaigning for Conservation/Training programs to codify and package a portfolio of training experiences to meet partner needs (eg, half-day introductory workshop, one-day behavior-centered design challenge/sprint, two-day behavior-centered design workshop, and 10-day Campaigning for Conservation training)
- Deliver trainings and build capacity/competency of BE.Center team members to deliver learning experiences
- Consult with and solicit input from key partners for learning design refinement and development of customized offerings
- Behavior-Centered Design methodology, toolkits and other products
- Support the development and refinement of the BE.Center’s ‘behavior-centered design’ methodology as an approach to integrate a science-driven framework of human behavior and a rigorous design thinking approach to user research for use in developing solutions to various environmental challenges
- Support translation of behavioral science to practitioners using expertise in learning design and technology
- Lead/support the design and development of off-the-shelf toolkits and resources for executing steps of the behavior-centered design approach (eg, participatory photography guides, stakeholder mapping tools, focus group discussion guides, systems mapping tools, ideation games)
- BE.Lab design and oversight
- Oversee the strategy, design, use and management of the BE.Lab, the BE.Center’s on-site learning space at Rare’s Arlington, VA office, working closely with the Director of Operations and Engagement, Director of Campaigning for Conservation/Training Programs, and Senior Manager, Head Creative
- Virtual learning experiences and community
- Develop a strategy for eLearning and virtual delivery mechanisms as an integrated approach to building partner/practitioner ability in behavior-centered design
- Collaborate with Rare’s communications team to develop a series of videos with subject matter experts teaching behavioral insights and behavior-centered design to be available to users of the BE.Center’s web platform
- Collaborate with Rare’s digital experience manager in development of the BE.Center’s new web platform for community-building and learning
Education and Experience
The ideal candidate will be dynamic, entrepreneurial, and high-energy, with the ability to work productively with a diverse group of experts and partners. S/he should be able to demonstrate prior success in a variety of high-impact initiatives that includes experience managing from conception through completion with explicit outcomes. S/he will be a quick learner, driven and self-directed, creative and analytical, organized and a strong communicator, with strong writing skills. Familiarity with the behavioral and social sciences is preferred. Other qualifications include:
- Minimum 5 years of proven experience in adult learning and instructional design;
- Bachelors degree required, Masters degree preferred;
- Experience translating technical-functional content into an enjoyable and consumable user experience;
- Demonstrated experience managing instructional design teams and working cross-functionally with other technical and non-technical teams;
- Demonstrated experience and abilities with design thinking approaches strongly preferred;
- Strong graphics skills to create style guides, course templates, web applications, graphic user interfaces, flow charts, etc.
- Familiarity designing and developing eLearning, multimedia and other computer-based training;
- Self-motivated (a “self-starter”); optimistic and solution-oriented; innovative and able to work with considerable independence within the context of a team environment and a network of relationships;
- Exceptional ability in project management and collaborating with different teams to find creative solutions;
- Superior interpersonal and communications skills including the ability to engage effectively with staff and partners at all levels in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment;
- Sound business judgment and ability to manage shifting priorities and competing deadlines to ensure accuracy and high-quality standards ;
- Prior experience in an international, cross-cultural work environment with willingness to work flexible hours on an as-needed basis to serve the needs of a global organization with diverse time zones