Rare is currently seeking a Fund Manager to lead Rare’s Meloy Fund globally.
The Meloy Fund is a $25M impact investment fund devoted to providing private debt and equity capital into scalable enterprises that can play a key role in incentivizing sustainably managed community small-scale fisheries in Indonesia and the Philippines. Each investment contributes to the triple bottom line results of financial returns to investors, improved livelihoods for local fishing communities, and increased health of the world’s most important marine ecosystems. The Meloy Fund is the first impact investment fund focused entirely on improving community small-scale fisheries in the developing tropics.
The Fund Manager is the overall lead of the Meloy Fund, and oversees the country teams as they source and manage investments, participates in the overall management of the Fund, and has a key role in the Investment Committee.
The ideal candidate will be dynamic, entrepreneurial, detail-oriented and high-energy, with the ability to work equally productively with Wall Street financiers and local leaders of coastal communities. S/he will be creative, analytical and well organized, and a strong communicator with impeccable writing skills. Demonstrated success in sourcing and managing investments and deal flow is required.
Key responsibilities include:
Refine and execute the Meloy Fund investment strategy in conjunction with Rare’s global leadership.
- Cultivate new and existing investment and grant fundraising opportunities and manage numerous ongoing investor relationships.
- Lead a team of impact investment professionals based in Indonesia and the Philippines, to identify, process and supervise emerging investment opportunities and to optimize triple bottom line results.
- Provide strategic leadership and technical assistance for financial management and capacity building of local fishing and farming organizations.
- Build an exhaustive network of relationships including corporate, entrepreneur, NGO, academic, investor – all involved with Impact Investing and Private Sector Development.
- Manage a portfolio impact valuation and reporting process to investors.
- Build alliances with key private sector actors in fishery value chains to establish productive commercial linkages between small-scale fisher and farming communities with seafood and agricultural processors.
- Develop and manage a country-based advisory body of stakeholders representing industry, government, and the NGO sectors to promote and advocate for conditions enabling small and medium enterprise (SME) propagation.
Experience & Education:
- 8-10+ years’ experience creating viable investment opportunities, private enterprise development, or the provision of investment products.
- Strong finance background and financial modeling skills.
- Strong working knowledge of social finance trends, innovative deal structures and investment vehicles in global development.
- Demonstrated leadership skills; preferably in fast moving and complex environments.
- In-depth understanding of the international development funding sector, including bilateral donors, multilaterals, foundations, and the private sector.
- Strong creative and entrepreneurial streak with proven ability to find new solutions and influence the thinking of others.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate complex information in a user-friendly way, including outstanding skills in writing, editing and presenting to small and large audiences;
- Exceptional stakeholder engagement, communications and influencing skills; ability to operate, and communicate effectively in cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to work in a challenging and dynamic entrepreneurial context; agility to respond to emerging business opportunities.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally.
- A genuine passion for delivering significant social and environmental impact.
- Prior experience in an international, cross-cultural work environment is essential with willingness to work flexible hours on an as-needed basis to serve the needs of a global organization with diverse time zones.
- BS/BA required; MBA or relevant Master’s degree preferred.