Rare is developing a pathway to finance community-led conservation at scale by blending philanthropy, public funding, bilateral/multilateral finance and private capital. This position will be the key deputy to the VP and the Blended Finance Initiative (BFI) team on strategy and will help support the design and rollout of blended finance solutions in the countries in which Rare operates. This critical role requires the successful balancing between high-level, strategic work, partnership development, fundraising, and day-to-day program management and implementation. Additionally, this role will work with key external stakeholders including foreign governments, development finance institutions (DFIs), investment banks, multi-lateral organizations, and NGOs. A significant understanding of development finance and economic models is necessary. Personal commitment to inspiring change so people and nature thrive.
The ideal candidate will be dynamic, entrepreneurial and high-energy, with the ability to work productively and independently across different teams and cultures. S/he will be creative, analytical and organized. Demonstrated success in managing high-impact initiatives from concept through to completion with a strong record of achievement of desired outcomes and strong project management skills are prerequisites for this role. The ideal candidate has experience both with the private and public sectors, including, for instance in investment banking, developing structured financial products, and / or development finance.
S/he will be tasked with the following responsibilities:
Project Management of the development and implementation of Blended Finance Products:
- Project management of the structuring and implementation of blended finance products to channel funding for improved natural resource management.
- Manage a coalition of blended financial actors and key policymakers to structure and capitalize blended finance products that are earmarked to fund implementation of natural resource management on a local level.
- Design and oversee research to identify the most effective sourcing, deployment, and use of blended capital flows for improved natural resource management, given the political economy, culture and financial situation of countries.
- Engage in the green finance and ESG community and develop networks and partnerships
- Work with local and national representatives to enable and accelerate the proposed financing vehicles.
- Oversee the creation of reports, tools, case studies, etc. for blended finance, detailing best practices of achieving sustainably financed natural resource conservation at scale.
- Manage large and medium scale projects for the deployment of blended finance mechanisms.
Strategy, Fundraising, & Communications
- Manage opportunities for replication of blended finance across multiple countries in our key focal areas of fisheries, water, and agriculture.
- Conduct empirical research to elevate natural resource management as a development priority for key national and sub-national decision-makers.
- Assist with fundraising opportunities
- Manage internal and external communications to relevant audiences, establishing thought leadership in appropriate venues.
Experience & Education
- A minimum of 10 years of increasing management responsibilities and leadership experience in the public and private sectors, with expertise in development finance, public finance management, national/sub-national planning, and/or capital markets.
- Knowledge or experience in green finance, including climate finance, green bonds, relevant project finance, and impact investing preferred but not required.
- Ability to manage a cross-functional team across different countries and cultures.
- Proven success managing complex projects involving multiple stakeholders, partnerships and contracts.
- Creative thinker, problem solver with strong financial and quantitative skills
- Experience building and managing relationships with policymakers and financiers in the private and public arenas.
- Ability to work in a challenging and dynamic entrepreneurial context and the agility to respond to emerging business opportunities.
- Prior experience in an international, cross-cultural work environment is essential with willingness to work flexible hours on an as-needed basis to serve the needs of a global organization with diverse time zones.
- Familiarity with current discussions around sustainable and blended finance, impact assessments, and environmental standards and safeguards a plus.
- Careful attention to detail, superior organizational skills, ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and autonomously.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred in the fields of economics, business administration or other relevant technical field.
- Proficiency in other languages helpful, especially Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Mandarin Chinese, Tagalog or Bahasa Indonesia.
- This position will be headquartered in Arlington, VA. Note extensive travel is required and essential for this position.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply; EOE/M/F/DN