Rare is a U.S.-based conservation organization, working globally to equip people in the world’s most threatened natural areas with the tools and motivation they need to care for their natural resources. For the last 30 years, at more than 200 sites and in more than 50 nations, Rare has addressed the underlying social and economic factors that create environmental threats. Rare’s approach has been to develop marketing and business development tools that motivate local communities to protect their natural surroundings.
Rare main program in Indonesia is to support small scale fisheries to manage and to conserve key marine habitat. Starting from enhancing compliance of communities to zoning plan and other regulations in Marine Protected Areas, Rare programs has evolved to support communities and government to shift the fishery from open access to managed access regime. Learning from its previous program, Rare in 2018-2022 will focus on working in targeted provinces to create network of community managed fisheries areas. The first province to be selected is South East Sulawesi.
To support this program, Rare will establish field office in the capital of the province, Kendari. Rare is hiring key individuals to manage the field office. Financial coordinator is one of the key positions being hired.
To help program implementation, Rare is now seeking Finance Coordinator to support project implementation at the province. Finance Coordinator will provide support for the operational day to day needs of the field office by ensuring that Financial Management, Field Office Operations Management, Logistics needs, and Safety requirements are met based on Rare’s policies and procedures, local laws and regulations, and donor requirements.
The Finance Coordinator will report directly to Manager, Finance & Operations and indirectly to the Field Team Leader. S/he will work closely with other staff in site office.
- Check and compile all field offices transactions (expenditures) completed with supporting documents according to the accounting system applied
- Verify the accuracy of calculations and the completeness of supporting documents of staff expenditure report, including staff travel expenses report
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of expense reports to the Finance department in compliance with Rare’s policies, procedures and systems.
- Establish and maintain cash controls
- Prepare Payment Request Form for transfers and payments to staff and third parties, including check and verify all incoming invoices in coordination with Manager, Finance & Operations
- Ensuring each procurement document is complete and in accordance with Project Manual/SOP ensuring appropriate approval and backup documentation for each PRF
- Petty Cash Management. Maintaining the daily record of petty cash book, payments, and preparing the reconciliation weekly and monthly
- Document Filing. Maintaining orderly filing system of all financial documents and reports.
- Perform any other finance duties as required.
- Provide logistic and operational support to any events, meetings or required activities of Rare.
- Monitor activity-specific budgets and payments, provide guidance to staff on logistic-related expenses, ensure activities are properly funded in accordance with accounting and organizational best-practices.
- Ensure logistical tasks are performed according to plan and in a timely manner.
- Report and work with Manager, Finance & Operations on program operations performance and take steps to address and remedy areas of concern.
- Ensure that field office holds adequate insurance and that staff and physical assets have a secure environment to operate.
- Maintain efficient use of program resources making sure that administrative services are provided in a timely and cost-effective way.
- Oversee field office recordkeeping and documentation related to field office administration.
- Oversee any office space-related changes to accommodate staff´s needs in a growing environment, including identifying contractors, service providers and additional office space as needed.
- Lead local “greening” efforts that make Rare a socially responsible and environmentally conscious employer.
Qualifications & Experience
- Associate degree in accounting, finance, business administration and similar degree
- Minimum of 3 years accounting experience, preferably with an international or local NGO
- Demonstrate careful attention to detail.
- Excellent proficiency with knowledge of Microsoft Office (mainly in excel); familiar with financial software
- Demonstrate ability to handle a heavy workload and changing priorities and tasks under strict deadlines.
- Excellent communications and personal management skills, ability to relate to people at all levels of an organization with different multi-cultural backgrounds.
- Strong interest and ability to work effectively in a team
- Computer literacy (excellent IT skills); competent in the use of Microsoft Excel, Word, and other MS tools, including the ability in operating Accounting Software
- Able to work independently without supervision but also accustomed to working in a team.
- Good communications skills - able to express complex information in a simple and succinct manner.
- Self-starter, pro-active and uses initiative - can work independently and priorities own work load.
- Able to communicate adequately in written and spoken English.
- Flexible and able to work under pressure and often to tight deadlines; including an ability to prioritize job.
- Willing to work at any circumstances both independently or in a group, such as in remote areas with very limited facilities.