Rare is a $25 million fast-growing, international conservation organization. We believe conservation comes down to people—their behaviors toward nature, their beliefs about its value, and their ability to protect it without sacrificing basic life needs. Rare’s culture is results-oriented and entrepreneurial.
We are working toward ambitious goals and creating measurable social change. With initiatives such as Fish Forever, Watersheds Protection, Sustainable Agriculture, Blended Finance, Meloy Fund, and Center for Behavior & the Environment, Rare is on a mission to “inspire change so people and nature thrive”.
Under the supervision of the VP Brazil, the Financial & Administration Manager is responsible for the operational day to day needs of the program office by ensuring that Financial Management, Talent, Office Operations Management including Information Systems (IT), Logistics needs and Safety requirements are met based on Rare’s policies and procedures, local laws and regulations, and donor requirements.
The Operation Manager supervises the work of the Finance & Administrative Coordinator and oversees all activities performed by local accounting service providers.
The Financial & Administration Manager will exercise independent judgment regarding the following 4 areas of significance:
- Support Brazil VP by providing recommendations to support sustainable growth for the program while minimizing risk
- Support the program budgeting and long-term financial planning processes in all its stages: planning, review, approval, and implementation of budgets; cash-flow management; preparing program/proposal financial documentation and donor reports in conformity with donor requirements and Rare’s policies and procedures
- Process payments and international wire transfers, supervise the work of accounting consultants in all accounting-related tasks, review and approve monthly balance sheets
- Ensure financial and accounting records are in compliance with donor requirements, local and national government regulations, and Rare's politices and proceedures
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of financial and donor reports to the Finance department in compliance with Rare’s policies and procedures and systems
- Monitor budgets, ensuring that program year-round expenditures are utilized based on the approved allocations and provide financial analysis and interpretation to management and project managers as required
- Manage the annual audit of program financial records and ensures that all audit findings and observations are corrected and addressed after audit completion
- Manage the relationship with bank establishments, accounting firm, insurance and other relevant service providers
- Manages activity-specific budgets through periodical monitoring of payments, provide guidance to staff on logistic-related expenses, ensure activities are properly funded in accordance with accounting and organizational best-practices
Contracts and Legal Compliance Management
- Draft legal contracts and agreements, liaise with legal counsel and overseas colleagues to ensure contracts are in compliance with local laws and Rare´s global standards
- Negotiate and manage contracts related to local service providers and consultants, donations and collaborations with partners, and other operational and programmatic activities in compliance with Rare´s policies and procedures
- Support all changes in the organization´s institutional documentation with local government and membership with relevant agencies in Brazil, liaising with local legal support and notaries
- Manage and coordinate all the required work in Brazil regarding national authorities’ due diligences, ensuring that Rare Brazil is complying with Brazil’s law for non-profits organizations (labor law; tax and fiscal laws)
- Review all service-provision contracts negotiated by staff considering Rare´s best interest;
Backup Responsibility - Talent/Human Resources Management
- Ensure compliance with local labor laws and regulations and Rare’s global policies and practices
- In coordination with global Talent team, assess policies and practices that increase staff safety and awareness with the local environment
- Act as local liaison for the Talent global team to support global balanced scorecard metrics related to building Rare culture, increasing staff engagement, and supporting training initiatives that create career development opportunities for our staff
- In coordination and alignment with the talent department (Rare in Arlington), identify and recommend best policies and practices in accordance with Brazil’s culture and best cost & benefit services available, in order to retain talents.
Backup Responsibility - IT and Office Management
- Facilitate compliance with Rare IT global policies and support regional staff with their IT needs
- Maintain efficient use of program resources making sure that administrative services are provided in a timely and cost-effective way;
- Oversee any office space-related changes to accommodate staff´s needs in a growing environment, including identifying contractors, service providers and additional office space as needed.
Experience and Education
A Bachelors degree minimum, Masters degree preferable and 5+ year finance or business administration and experience with financial accounting with exposure to administrative functions strongly preferred.
- Proven financial management skills and experience in budget preparation and management (US$ 3 million plus) and demonstrated ability to accurately and efficiently review and analyze detailed information.
- Experience with diverse funding environment including US and European governments, multilaterals, and large foundations preferred
- Familiarity with the requirements for successfully managing a nonprofit organization under program law.
- Knowledge of local fiscal and labor requirements required.
- Supervisory experience.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and multitask.
- Effective communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with all levels of employees in a team setting.
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues and information.
- College degree in finance or business administration.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office (proficient in MS Excel).
- Native Portuguese and Fluent in English.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply. EOE/M/F/D/V