Rare is a $25 million fast-growing, international conservation organization. We believe conservation comes down to people—their behaviors toward nature, their beliefs about its value, and their ability to protect it without sacrificing basic life needs. Rare’s culture is results-oriented and entrepreneurial.
We are working toward ambitious goals and creating measurable social change. With initiatives such as Fish Forever, Watersheds Protection, Sustainable Agriculture, Blended Finance, Meloy Fund, and Center for Behavior & the Environment, Rare is on a mission to “inspire change so people and nature thrive”.
The Manager for Operations is responsible in the overall management of the daily activities of the country office and ensure that its resources will be maximized at the least cost but with maximum output gained. Reporting directly to the Director for Finance and Administration, he/she will ensure that Administrative, Information Systems (IT), Security and Safety, Office Management requirements are met based on Rare’s policies and procedures, local laws and regulations, and donor requirements.
- Oversees operational day-to-day needs of the Program office by ensuring that Office Management and Information Systems requirements are met based on Rare’s policies & procedures, local laws & regulations, and donor requirements.
- Formulates/drafts office policies for the Philippines office, responds to related queries from the team and raising any concerns to the Director, Sr. Director &/or the Vice President; Maintains & updates the Policy Handbook when necessary and coordinates with the Talent/HR Associate on any policy reminders, concerns, breaches, etc. concerning the Philippines team.
- Manages inventory of all supplies and office equipment and those that were issued to staff.
- Assist in local banking relationships and coordinate with the Manager for Finance particularly in the area of enrolling and updating of bank signatories &/or approvers and other bank admin concerns.
- Develop new systems/methods for keeping the full Philippines team informed of upcoming events, activities, and work priorities so communication across locations remains high. This may get expanded to include communications across regions and with the central office.
- Assess program operations performance and take steps to address and remedy areas of concern.
- Manage local organizational structure efforts in the area of operations ensuring roles, responsibilities and workflow are clear among the operational staff.
- Provide and arrange training in coordination with the Talent/HR Associate to ensure program staff are well-versed on operational matters.
- Maintain efficient use of program resources making sure that administrative services are provided in a timely and cost-effective way.
- Serve as field advocate by facilitating feedback between field staff and HQ regarding policies and procedures.
- Ensure office working permits (Business/SEC) and pertinent insurance coverages are kept updated.
- Supervises the Coordinator for Office and Programs and the logistics pool.
- Facilitates compliance with Rare IT global policies and oversees the delivery of IT services and support for the Philippines team.
- Locate and vet local IT partners and act as a liaison between local vendors and the Arlington IT department.
- Bring regional technology needs to attention of the IT department.
- Manage IT outsourcing services on a day to day basis.
- Help coordinate shipping of equipment between the regional office and HQ.
- Manage IT assets and inform IT of additions and changes.
- Support the preparation of regular Philippines staff Team meetings (weekly and quarterly), cross-regional or all-staff conference calls, and other large meetings. This may include:
- Set-up of conference room.
- Equipment preparation and testing.
- Providing supplies.
- Coordinating with members of other offices to ensure audio and video works, etc.
- Coordinate and manage office administration, including physical maintenance of premises.
- Ensure that program office holds adequate insurance and that staff and physical assets have a secure environment to operate.
- Manage Rare’s technology equipment to keep track of which staff members are responsible for different equipment (travel printers, cameras, video cameras, scanners, etc.) and the location of all equipment.
- Manage the full supply of First Aid materials and medicines in the office &/or vehicle/s along with a travel kit for all workshops and trainings held outside the office ensuring all staff have access to any necessary medical supplies when needed.
Safety and Security Management:
- Develops, manages and coordinates the Philippines’ team safety and security protocols, both for when staff are working in local offices and when out on field-based travel.
Other Admin or Operations:
- Performs other tasks as may be assigned by the Finance and Admin Director on operational matters & issues.
Education & Experience
- College degree in business/resource management, administration, relevant social sciences and/or any related course.
- Three (3) years of relevant working experience.
- Ability to accurately and efficiently review and analyze detailed information.
- Familiarity with the requirements for successfully managing a non-profit organization under program.
- Knowledge of local fiscal and labor requirements a strong plus.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Fluent spoken and written English required. Must be fluent in Tagalog and/or Visayan.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Effective communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with all levels of employees in a team setting.
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues and information.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially MS Excel).
- Ability to work in a complex, fast-moving environment and deal with both local country team as well as culturally-diverse global headquarters.
- Experience with diverse funding environment including US and European governments, multi-laterals, and large foundations preferred.
- Excellent planning, organization, project management and people management skills.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply; EOE/M/F/D/V