Rare is a $25 million fast-growing, international conservation organization. We believe conservation comes down to people—their behaviors toward nature, their beliefs about its value, and their ability to protect it without sacrificing basic life needs. Rare’s culture is results-oriented and entrepreneurial.
We are working toward ambitious goals and creating measurable social change. With initiatives such as, Sustainable Small-scale Fisheries, Watersheds, Organic Agriculture, Blended Finance, Meloy Fund, and Center for Behavior & the Environment Rare is on a mission to “inspire change so people and nature thrive”.
What is Rare Talent?
Rare is seeking people who are smart, fun and are results oriented. Rare is an entrepreneurial organization, so we're looking for people who are resourceful, creative and enjoy being challenged intellectually. Working at Rare gives you the chance to make a difference every day and contribute to addressing global conservation challenges while working alongside culturally diverse and driven colleagues.
A Rare Approach
At Rare we believe that people are our most important resource. Conservation ultimately comes down to people and their behaviors toward nature. For nearly four decades Rare has designed programs that benefit both people and the planet. We have been successful because of the talent that makes it all possible. We are committed to providing our employees with a unique and inspirational professional culture. We have the high energy and dedication of a company on an exciting trajectory. We are on a mission to make sure employees work in a dynamic environment where innovation thrives.
Rare is currently seeking candidates for the position of Associate, Events & Communications. Rare will host donor cultivation and marketing events (including one to three international events or trips) each year. The Associate, Events & Communications is responsible for working with internal staff, volunteers, Rare donors, and external vendors to plan and conduct these events and trips. The Associate, Events & Communications will also lead the Communications team administrative needs. The Associate, Events & Communications reports to the Director of Communications, External Affairs and sits within Rare’s Marketing & Communications team.
- Serve as project and on-site manager for fundraising and marketing events of varying size (10-200 guests) and scope throughout the country and internationally. This includes leading all internal planning meetings, establishing timelines and assigning tasks to the team, and working with other Rare staff and vendors to manage all logistical details of the event to ensure the highest quality experience, both for internal staff engagement as well as for our external audiences. Events will vary in their focus and will be variously targeted at:
- Foundation consortiums
- National and international governmental ministries and organizations
- Manage event logistics, including hiring and managing outside vendors, arranging transportation, entertainment, venues, caterers, and A/V.
- Research, hire, and manage trip outfitters to conduct field visits for donors. Serve as key liaison to field staff in designing trip logistics and understanding on-the-ground needs and dynamics.
- Create and manage budgets for each event or trip and seek opportunities to minimize costs that will not compromise quality or the guest experience.
- Write content for event-related materials such as invitations, information packets, itineraries, run of show presentations, talking points and other necessary materials.
- Coordinate with Development staff on compiling background research on event and field visit guests.
- Facilitate a monthly meeting with representatives from various Rare teams to align on event schedules and strategies.
- Conduct event evaluations by reviewing trends in guest attendance, guest experience and event-inspired gifts.
- Support the Communications team’s administrative needs such as setting up weekly team meetings, editorial calendar and agendas.
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum three years of experience in event and project management
- Strong track record of success in event visioning and implementation
- Demonstrated ability to be highly organized and attentive to detail; able to manage, prioritize and bring to completion multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven project management skills and a track record of successful project leadership
- Experience in developing events that are creative and novel
- Excellent communication skills, both interpersonal and written
- Experience writing for external audiences
- Poise and “grace under pressure”
- Ability to work confidently and professionally with executive leadership, Rare Board members and donors
- Ability to respond to changing priorities and competing deadlines to ensure accuracy and high quality standards
- Experience in coordinating international travel for groups
- Solid computer and analytical skills
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Outstanding problem-solving skills
- Results-oriented; solid work ethic
- Enthusiasm for Rare’s mission and respect for its core values
- Willingness to travel (10-20%, international and domestic)
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply. EOE/M/F/D/V