Rare is a $25 million fast-growing, international conservation organization. We believe conservation comes down to people—their behaviors toward nature, their beliefs about its value, and their ability to protect it without sacrificing basic life needs. Rare’s culture is results-oriented and entrepreneurial.
We are working toward ambitious goals and creating measurable social change. With initiatives such as Fish Forever, Watersheds Protection, Sustainable Agriculture, Blended Finance, Meloy Fund, and Center for Behavior & the Environment, Rare is on a mission to “inspire change so people and nature thrive”.
The ideal candidate will be dynamic, entrepreneurial and high-energy, with the ability to work productively and independently across different teams and cultures. S/he will be creative, analytical and organized. Demonstrated success in managing a variety of high-impact initiatives from concept through to completion with a strong record of achievement of desired outcomes and strong project management skills are prerequisites for this role. The ideal candidate has experience both with the private and public sectors, including, for instance in investment banking, developing structured financial products, and/or development finance.
Rare is developing a pathway to finance community-led conservation at scale by blending philanthropy, public funding, bilateral/multilateral finance and private capital. This position will lead our Blended Finance Initiative (BFI) at a strategic level and help design, test and scale blended finance solutions in the countries in which Rare operates. This critical role requires the successful toggling between high-level, strategic work, partnership development, fundraising, and day-to-day program management and implementation. Additionally, this role will serve as the primary liaison between Rare and key external stakeholders including foreign governments, development finance institutions (DFIs), investment banks, multi-lateral organizations, and NGOs. A significant technical understanding of development finance and economic models is necessary. Initial work is focused in sustainable fisheries, with opportunities to work on our other conservation strategies in water and agriculture over time. S/he will be tasked with the following responsibilities:
Develop & Implement Blended Finance Products:
- Oversee/lead the structuring and implementation of blended finance products to channel funding for improved natural resource management, notably, beginning with Rare’s existing Blended Finance program in the Philippines focused on financing sustainable coastal fisheries.
- Create and manage a coalition of blended financial actors and key policymakers to structure and capitalize blended finance products that are earmarked to fund implementation of natural resource management on a local level.
- Design and oversee research to identify the most effective sourcing, deployment, and use of blended capital flows for improved natural resource management, given the political economy, culture and financial situation of countries.
- Engage in the green finance community and develop networks and partnerships to create and structure green financing vehicles (e.g. green bonds).
- Articulate local and national policy recommendations to enable and accelerate the proposed financing vehicle and value-creation opportunities.
- Build out a technical toolkit for blended finance, detailing best practices of achieving sustainably financed natural resource conservation at scale.
Strategy, Fundraising, & Communications
- Develop opportunities for replication of blended finance across multiple countries in our key focal areas of fisheries, water, and agriculture.
- As necessary, design, plan and conduct empirical research to inform national and subnational development planning and implementation and to elevate natural resource management as a development priority for key national and sub-national decision-makers.
- Build out a national and international network of practitioners (financial actors, government partners, NGOs, academia, consultants) to develop and validate macro and microeconomic cost and benefit models for natural capital valuation.
- Work closely with technical experts from Rare’s programs (Fish Forever, Watershed Protection, and Sustainable Agriculture) to incorporate scalable solutions.
- Develop and lead fundraising opportunities for relevant budgets
- Lead internal and external communications to relevant. audiences, establishing thought leadership in appropriate venues.
Experience & Education
- A minimum of 15 years of increasing management responsibilities and senior leadership experience in the public and private sectors, with expertise in development finance, public finance management, national/sub-national planning, and/or capital markets.
- Knowledge or experience in green finance, including climate finance, green bonds, relevant project finance, and impact investing preferred.
- Ability to manage a cross-functional team across different countries and cultures.
- Proven success managing complex projects involving multiple stakeholders, partnerships and contracts.
- Experience building and managing relationships in developing countries with senior policymakers and financiers in the private and public arenas.
- Preferably, in-country and/or regional experience and established networks in Rare’s countries of operations.
- Strong financial and quantitative skills.
- Ability to lead research and analysis projects and produce robust results in conditions of uncertainty.
- Ability to work in a challenging and dynamic entrepreneurial context and the agility to respond to emerging business opportunities.
- Prior experience in an international, cross-cultural work environment is essential with willingness to work flexible hours on an as-needed basis to serve the needs of a global organization with diverse time zones.
- Strong familiarity with current discussions around sustainable finance, impact assessments, and environmental standards and safeguards.
- Proficiency in other languages a plus, especially Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin Chinese, Tagalog or Bahasa Indonesia.
- This position will be headquartered in Arlington, VA. Note extensive travel is required and essential for this position.
Rare is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply; EOE/M/F/D/V